Last fall, David Bock hosted a Rails for Newbies group which excelled my learning. Inspired by the pace of learning with others, mentorship, and Hungry Academy - Scrappy Academy was born (thanks @tourdedave for the name!). It is a community of people learning Ruby and Rails.
- Self study group that follows hungry academy course
- Pick one open source project to contribute to
- Invite Ruby community members to weekly meetings as mentors
- Prone to action
- Write code, we don’t care if it sucks, we’ll get better
- Building over talking
- Disagreements are settled with code
- Have fun along the way!
Full draft here.
Where are we now?
After meeting for four weeks, I am happy to report that each week we have increased then amount of code produced, increased the number in attendance, and Rubyists have offered mentorship.
That’s cool, where can I learn more?
Please check out ScrappyAcademy.com – currently under construction. We will be posting what we have accomplished and a potential to-do list.
At this point we are no longer accepting Scrappies; however, if your learning let me know and hopefully we’ll be able to collaborate online. Perhaps you’d like to come join us for a weekend hackathon.